U.S. 41 project resumes near bridge, Hancock Street
HANCOCK — The Hancock City Council learned Wednesday the continuation of U.S. 41 reconstruction project that began last summer in the city has resumed.
During his report, City Manager Glenn Anderson said warning signs for the project were placed in various parts of the city earlier this week.
“You could see lane closures go up this week,” he said.
During the project, Anderson said traffic to Ripley from Houghton should be unaffected, but traffic from Ripley will be detoured.
Also, the ramp from Front Street under the Portage Lake Lift Bridge to eastbound M-26 will be closed two to three weeks while it is widened, Anderson said.
The south side of Front Street will be worked on first, Anderson said, with traffic reduced to one lane each on the north side of the street. After the south side is complete, the traffic lanes will be switched to the south lanes.
“Ultimately, Front Street will be widened by a few feet,” he said. “It’s a very complicated project. The good thing is it will be done fairly quickly.”
In a written statement of the $2 million project, the Michigan Department of Transportation stated the estimated completion date is July 21. The deck of the bridge will be restricted to operating on the hour, with no lifts for pleasure craft allowed at the peak hours of 8 a.m., noon and 5 p.m.
The $7 million project to reconstruct Reservation and Quincy streets last year started in early May and finished in October.
Anderson told the council the work to create pedestrian bumpouts on Hancock Street will also begin soon.