Despite dip, H-PT has enrollment prospects

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette The Houghton-Portage Township Schools Board discussed enrollment numbers during Monday’s meeting. Superintendent Doreen Klingbeil reported the district’s enrollment was at 1,410 students for the February count day.

HOUGHTON — Enrollment in the Houghton-Portage Township School District dropped slightly from last year, while signs point to a bump next year.

As of the February count, the district had 1,410 students, down five from the same time in 2018, Superintendent Doreen Klingbeil reported to the Houghton-Portage Township Schools Board at its Monday meeting.

Student counts are the basis for schools’ state foundation grants, which account for most revenue to a district. The February count is responsible for only 10 percent of the figure; the other 90 percent comes from the fall count in October.

For the 2018-19 fiscal year, the district received $7,871 per student.

Kindergarten registration appears healthy and on par with last year, Klingbeil said. The district is graduating a class of about 85 seniors.

“Usually, we’re around 100, 110,” she said.

Lower grades have higher totals. Ninth and 10th grades are at about 130 students, said High School Principal Cole Klein.

The eighth grade has about 115 students, Principal Julie Filpus reported.

“It’s a good situation to have,” said Board President Buck Foltz.