Attempt to melt roof snow burns garage

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette Firefighters work to put out a fire at the Allouez Township garage owned by Mark Mountz Wednesday afternoon.

EDITOR’S NOTE: The online version of this story has been corrected the cause of the fire, which was caused by a unattended stove in the building’s interior.

ALLOUEZ TOWNSHIP — An Allouez Township garage suffered extensive damage in a Wednesday afternoon fire.

The garage’s owner, Mark Mountz, said he had started a fire in a stove in the building’s interior to melt the snow on his roof and went on a brief walk.

“I came back, and it was burning,” he said.

Mountz was able to get his tractor out from the garage.

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette Firefighters work to put out a fire at the Allouez Township garage owned by Mark Mountz Wednesday afternoon.

Mountz had bruised his leg in the scramble to retrieve items, but was otherwise OK. No other injuries were reported.

“Pick up the pieces and start over,” he said.

About half the garage’s contents were salvageable, Mountz estimated. A former member of the Allouez Township and Ahmeek fire departments, Mountz credited the firefighters with quick work.

“They did a good job,” he said. “I see some stuff in there we can reuse.”

The Allouez Township Fire Department cleared the scene about 2 p.m. Assisting were Ahmeek, Calumet Township, Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Office and Mercy EMS.

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette Firefighters work to put out a fire at the Allouez Township garage owned by Mark Mountz Wednesday afternoon.