Reignited fire burns Allouez Township garage

Sparked by stove heating interior

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette Fire investigators are seen here at the scene of an apparently extinguished garage fire in Allouez Township on Wednesday which started when the owner was heating the interior with a stove. The fire reignited Wednesday night, destroying all the contents of the interior.

ALLOUEZ TOWNSHIP — A Wednesday afternoon wood stove fire in an Allouez Township garage sparked up again later that night, rendering the garage a total loss, the owner’s wife said Thursday.

Owner Mark Mountz had originally thought much the materials could be salvaged.

“All the tools he thought he could save — $15,000 worth — are gone,” said Joni Mountz, Mark Mountz’s wife. “He’s heartbroken.”

A headline on Thursday’s article about the fire stated it had been set on the roof. Actually, Mark Mountz had set a fire in a wood stove in the garage to heat the snow on the roof, Joni Mountz said. With the low slope of the roof, the snow won’t slide off on its own, she said.

“He started the fire in the stove to help melt the snow, so he could get it to melt easily,” she said. “He didn’t start it on the roof. He’s not an idiot.”

The tractor Mountz had retrieved from the garage is still believed to be safe, Joni Mountz said.

Mountz also owns the General Glass building in Hancock, which he is trying to sell, Joni Mountz said. Mountz had just finished converting the garage into a shop last month, Joni Mountz said. He was trying to transition to the smaller shop to reduce overhead.

If that weren’t enough, a water leak cropped up at the Hancock building today, Joni Mountz said.

“I’m hoping tomorrow will be better,” she said. “It’s my birthday. So far, it hasn’t been a very good present.”

Joni Mountz said to her knowledge, there had not been a Gofundme page or similar crowdfunding site set up for donations.