Fire caught in Calumet: Moderate damage to home, but no injuries

Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette Firefighters respond to the scene of a Calumet Township blaze Sunday afternoon. There were no injuries reported in the fire.

CALUMET TOWNSHIP — A fire at a Calumet Township home Sunday resulted in moderate damage but no injuries.

The fire was reported about 5 p.m. Sunday at a home on Depot Street, said Calumet Township Fire Chief Pat Boberg. Early indications are that the fire was caused by an unattended candle in the front room, he said.

“It’s fixable,” he said. “It was contained to the one room.”

The homeowners were gone at the time of the fire, Boberg said. Pets were in the house, but were unharmed.

What time the fire began is undetermined, Boberg said.

“It could have been a lot worse, but we caught it in the nick of time,” he said.