Six ways to healthier living
A Clubhouse is a recovery-focused program organized to support people living with mental illness. Through participation in a Clubhouse, members gain access to opportunities to rejoin the worlds of friendships, family, employment and education, and to the services and support they may individually need to continue their recovery.
A Clubhouse provides a restorative environment for people whose lives have been severely disrupted because of their mental illness, who need the support of others in recovery, and who believe that mental illness is treatable. Clubhouses are evidence based programs that belong to a network of Clubhouses affiliated with Clubhouse International. There are over 330 Clubhouses worldwide in 34 countries. Northern Lights Clubhouse is our local program offered through Copper Country Mental Health. It is located at 1027 Ethel Avenue in Hancock, and has been operating since 1994.
Because renewal is a common theme at the start of a new year we share the following healthy living tips for those seeking healthier living.
• To live life in a balanced way, it is often helpful to have a routine. It also helps to keep a balance between work and leisure time and take frequent breaks from tasks, whether at home or on the job. Have a healthy variety in your life and get good sleep.
• Many have found it beneficial to seek out a purpose in life, to have a reason for living. This helps to keep life’s many stressors low. It also helps to look for the positive/good in life, and it always helps if we can do good for others.
• Getting exercise is another way to stay healthy. Many options are available: Go to the gym, go snowshoeing, skiing, mall/trail walking. Even using the stationary bicycle or other exercise equipment is easily done these days.
• Another wise practice is to have enriching hobbies. Many at the clubhouse have found enjoyment in reading, water color/acrylic painting, puzzle books, reviewing inspirational material, and even adult coloring.
• Socialization is not always easy, but rewarding when we make an effort to interact with people. It helps if we are a good listener. Perhaps we may want to join a club with like minded people.
• Finally, it has been found by Clubhouse members that having a balanced diet and eating in moderation while avoiding second helpings is very important. Some take supplements. It’s important to work in harmony with health care professionals. Many stress the importance of drinking enough water, eating fruits and veggies and avoiding sweets and soda.
For more information about Northern Lights Clubhouse see our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/nlch1994 or contact Chad Johnson, Clubhouse Director, at 482-7068.