Copper Country Calendar
Thursday, April 18
• 10:30 to 11 a.m., Aspirus Keweenaw Home Health and Hospice will offer a free blood pressure clinic at the Laurium housing office.
• 6 p.m., The monthly membership meeting for the Calumet Keweenaw Sportsmen’s Club will be held at the Copper City community hall. Guest speaker will be DNR CO Brian Lasanen. For more information, contact Lindsay Fortin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 7:30 p.m., New musical compositions by Michigan Tech students will be presented at the McArdle Theater. All are invited. There is no charge.
• 2 to 7 p.m., The Houghton Rubik’s Rumble is a five-hour Rubik’s Cube workshop that will be held at the MTU Memorial Union Building at Michigan Tech. The Rumble will feature Sydney Weaver, a seven-time gold medalist speedcuber, and is hosted by the Cubing Club at Michigan Tech. Tickets are $ 12.
• 5 to 8 p.m., The Copper Country Elks Lodge in Calumet will be having a Fish Fry. The price is $14 for your choice of White Fish or Cod. Everyone is welcome. For more information, contact Linda Fredricson at 370-1207.
• 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., The Copper Country Cubing 2019 Rubik’s Cube Competition will be held at the Memorial Union Building. This will be the first ever Michigan UP competition, and will include cubes of several different configurations. All skill levels are welcome. Online registration fee is $9 and $10 at the door.
• 9 to 10 a.m., Students from the Computer Science Department at Michigan Tech will provide free tutoring at the Portage Lake District Library for beginning computer users.
• 10 a.m., Evangel Baptist Church is sponsoring a community Easter egg hunt. All kids are invited to Sherman Field to collect eggs with prizes inside. There is no charge.
• 10 a.m., Alpha Sigma Tau and Phi Kappa Tau will host their first Tau Trot 5K Run/Walk. The race will begin in Hancock and end in Houghton. Proceeds will support Girls on the Run and the SeriousFun Children’s Network. Participants will receive a commemorative t-shirt upon signing up.
• 2 p.m., Friends of the Elderly will again serve free Easter dinners for seniors who would otherwise be alone on the holiday. Dinners will be served at 2:00 at the following locations St. Ignatius Church in Houghton, The Church of the Resurrection in Hancock, Sacred Heart Church in Calumet, Horizons School in Mohawk, Grace Lutheran Church in South Range, Doelle Senior Center in Tapiola, St. Ann’s Church in Baraga, Holy Family Catholic Church in Ontonagon.
• 4 to 6 p.m., All are invited to the free “Let’s Eat” community meal at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Chassell. Dinners are sponsored by Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, St. Anne’s Catholic Church, and several local organizations and businesses.
• 3 to 6 p.m., The U.P. Regional Blood Center will hold a blood drive at Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital in Laurium. For an appointment, call the laboratory at 337-6550.
• 6 to 7 p.m., The Portage Lake District Library will host John Nelson and Jacob Spear who will do a presentation on developing a sound estate plan. Topics such as creating a will, benefits of trusts, reducing estate taxes, and how insurance can help protect your family will be covered. For more information, call the library at 906-482-4570.
• 11 to 11:30 a.m., Aspirus Keweenaw Home Health and Hospice will offer a free blood pressure clinic at Gardenview Assisted Living and Memory Care in Calumet.