10 things to know today: Friday, May 20, 2016
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WRECKAGE OF FLIGHT 804 FOUND, EGYPTIAN MILITARY SAYS
Beyond debris, passengers’ belongings are discovered from the EgyptAir jetliner that crashed into the Mediterranean while carrying 66 passengers and crew from Paris to Cairo, an army spokesman says.
2. TAIWAN INAUGURATES FIRST WOMAN CHIEF EXEC
In her inaugural address, new President Tsai Ing-wen omits mentioning the one-China policy, a move likely to anger Beijing.
3. AUTHORITIES SCRAMBLE TO STEM LISTERIA-LINKED ILLNESSES, DEATHS
A massive frozen foods recall involves millions of packages of fruits and vegetables shipped to the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
4. ISRAEL’S DEFENSE MINISTER RESIGNS
In stepping down, Moshe Yaalon cites a lack of trust in Netanyahu, as reports swirl that the prime minister intends to appoint ex-foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman to the post and take the government further to the hard right.
5. WHERE STAR POWER COMES AT A PRICE
Celebrity speakers at college commencement ceremonies can bring excitement, publicity – and steep costs, the AP determines.
6. TRUMP PROVES PERSISTENT IN FLORIDA DISPUTE
The GOP presidential front-runner has been trying for two decades to stop planes from Palm Beach International Airport from flying over his prized Mar-a-Lago Club nearby.
7. WHAT BENEFIT PEOPLE SAY THEY’D LIKE TO HAVE
An overwhelming majority of Americans 40 and older say time off from work to care for a relative should be paid, an AP-NORC poll finds.
8. THAILAND NEARS TWO YEARS UNDER MILITARY RULE
Outwardly, not much changed after the coup. But under the surface, the country is undergoing a sea change.
9. HOW CHINA TRIES TO BUILD GOODWILL
U.S. researchers estimate that the government fabricates and posts about 488 million social media items a year to influence public opinion about the country.
10. PERFECT 10: CLEVELAND STAYS UNBEATEN IN POSTSEASON
LeBron James and the Cavs become the fourth team in NBA history to start the playoffs 10-0 with a win in Game 2 of the playoffs against Toronto.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.