10 things to know today: Friday, June 3, 2016
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ‘THIS ISN’T REALITY TELEVISION. THIS IS ACTUAL REALITY’
AP’s Julie Pace says Hillary Clinton may have found her message with a political thrashing of Donald Trump, a standout moment for a candidate who has often struggled to focus her White House campaign.
2. TRUMP BACKERS TARGETED AFTER RALLY
Supporters leaving the Republican presidential candidate’s appearance in San Jose, California, were pounced by protesters, some of whom threw punches and eggs.
3. CREWS SEARCH FOR 4 MISSING IN TEXAS FROM FLOODED ARMY TRUCK
Army teams and other emergency crews search along a Fort Hood creek for soldiers still missing from a truck that overturned in the swift water, killing at least five and injuring three.
4. HOW TALIBAN HAS CHANGED TACTICS
In the fight against Kabul for key roads and highways, militants in southern Afghanistan storm a checkpoint, kill all the policemen and cut off the only road to a village.
5. CONFIRMATION THAT OVERDOSE KILLED PRINCE JUST THE BEGINNING OF PROBE
Investigators in the months to come will try to determine whether the superstar musician had a prescription for the powerful opioid that killed him or whether it was supplied illegally.
6. WHAT IS BEING BLAMED FOR SHORTENING SOME US LIVES
Rising drug and alcohol overdoses, suicides, and disease from chronic alcoholism are cutting the lives of white Americans short by nearly a half of a year on average.
7. RAVENOUSLY HUNGRY, BUT ALIVE AND WELL
Six days after he was abandoned in the forest by his parents as a form of punishment, a 7-year-old Japanese boy did not shed a tear when he was found safe by a soldier in a military hut.
8. ZOOS EMPLOY OWN TACTICAL TEAMS FOR DANGEROUS ANIMAL SITUATIONS
Armed, specially trained zoo staffers like the ones at the Cincinnati Zoo sharpen skills at firing ranges, stage elaborate drills, and stash guns around the grounds.
9. WAL-MART PILOT PROGRAM TO CHALLENGE AMAZON
The retail giant says it will be testing its grocery delivery service with ride-hailing companies Uber and Lyft in the next two weeks in Denver and Phoenix.
10. WARRIORS’ SUPPORTING CAST LEADS THE WAY
Draymond Green, Shaun Livingston and Golden State’s bench come up big as the Warriors beat LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers 104-89 to move three wins from a repeat title.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.