10 things to know today: Monday, July 18, 2016
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. FORMER MARINE KILLS THREE BATON ROUGE OFFICERS, WOUNDS THREE OTHERS
Authorities are investigating the motives of shooter Gavin Long, who was killed at the scene.
2. WHAT TO WATCH FOR AS THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION KICKS OFF
The first act will underline how divisive Trump has been with insurgents pushing for a rule change in a last- gasp effort to deny him the nomination.
3. AP POLL SHOWS US VOTERS SPLIT OVER TRUMP’S PROPOSED TEMPORARY BAN ON ENTRY OF MUSLMS
The AP-GfK polls shows Trump’s shifting rhetoric on that ban might win some Americans over.
4. TURKISH WAR PLANES PATROL SKIES IN SIGNS OF LINGERING FEAR OF THREATS AGAINST GOVERNMENT
The Cabinet prepares to meet for the first time since the failed coup attempt amid concerns that a crackdown with push Turkey even further into authoritarian rule.
5. FRANCE FIND NO EVIDENCE SO FAR THAT TRUCK DRIVER HAD LINKS TO “TERRORIST NETWORK”
Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve says the driver may have been motivated by IS messages but not necessarily coordinating with a larger network.
6. WHY JAPANESE COMPANIES ARE TURNING TO TEENAGE VINERS FOR MARKETING HELP
Stodgy Japan Inc. firms need all the help they can get in appealing to youngsters, especially young women.
7. HOW COLOMBIA IS RETHINKING ITS ANTI-DRUG STRATEGY AS COCAINE PRODUCTION SKYROCKETS
The country is hopeful that an imminent cease-fire with rebels with allow the military to shift its resources from fighting insurgents to pursuing top drug traffickers.
8. SPACEX LAUNCHES CRITICAL SPACE STATION DOCKING STATION FOR ASTRONAUTS
The unmanned Falcon rocket also carried a DNA decoder for high-flying genetic research.
9. WHO ANSWERED THE GAME’S SUMMONS FOR AN ANTI-VIOLENCE SUMMIT IN LOS ANGELES
Several hundred gang members, hip-hop luminaries joined city leaders including the mayor and police chief.
10. KIM KARDASHIAN LAUNCHES LATEST SALVO IN TAYLOR SWIFT-KANYE WEST BATTLE
Swift says a video posted Snapchat of an old call between her and West actually proves she never gave permission for him to call her a vulgar name.