Teachers and students around the state can breathe a little easier today. MEAP testing season is coming to an end. But just because many of you readers are no longer filling in little bubbles with a No. 2 pencil doesn't mean that you shouldn't have your mind exercised every once in a while.
No funding money is riding on this one, but here's a little test of your reading comprehension of the Daily Mining Gazette sports pages from the nearly-complete month of October. No prizes are available except for a hearty attaboy and my respect for your careful readership.
Here's 15 questions of varying subjects and difficulty. Let's see which readers have made adequate progress:
1. How many games has Michigan Tech hockey lost in the 2010-11 season? A. Zero; B. One; C. Two; D. Four.
2. The Copper Spike was recently awarded for the first time to Houghton for beating Hancock in: A. JV football B. marching band C. cross country D. varsity volleyball.
3. Which of the following teams has not been ranked in the U.P. Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association Football Poll this season? A. Calumet; B. Baraga, C. Ontonagon; D. Hancock.
4. Where were U.P. Cross Country Finals held this year? A. Escanaba; B. Iron Mountain; C. Ironwood; D. Atlantic Mine.
5. What was the first team to defeat Michigan Tech in football this year? A. Northern Michigan; B. Northwood; C. Saginaw Valley; D. Hillsdale.
6. Who scored in overtime to give Michigan Tech a win over Northern Michigan at the Berry Center? A. Bennett Royer; B. Eric Kattelus; C. Steven Seigo; D. No one, the game was a tie.
7. Which player scored the most points in the Copper Bowl this year? A. Devin Kero (Hancock); B. Zach Hill (Hancock); C. Jeff Aho (Hancock); D. Marshall Kemppainen (Houghton).
8. How many touchdowns did Phil Milbrath score against Northwood on Saturday? A. Two; B. Three; C. Five; D. Six.
9. How many times has Michigan Tech been swept in GLIAC volleyball play this season? A. Zero; B. Two; C. Four; D. Seven.
10. What was the Michigan Tech women's tennis team's seed and finish in the GLIAC Tournament? A. First; B. Third; C. Fourth; D. Sixth.
11. Which team won its last game of the season to automatically qualify for the MHSAA football playoffs? A. Ontonagon; B. Baraga; C. Ironwood; D. Calumet.
12. How many service errors per set does Houghton volleyball coach John Christianson consider an acceptable risk? A. None; B. One; C. Two; D. Five.
13. In which position did I predict Michigan Tech would finish in the 2010-11 WCHA standings? A. 7th; B. 9th; C. 10th; D. 12th.
14. Which team ended Lake Linden-Hubbell's four-game shutout streak? A. Baraga; B. Hancock; C. Houghton; D. Forest Park.
15. Which of the following teams did not forfeit a football game to a local team this season? A. Ewen-Trout Creek; B. Washburn, Wis.; C. Westwood; D. Bessemer-Wakefield-Marinesco.
Brandon Veale can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.