Education standards in Michigan are rising, and as a purveyor of the printed word, I feel I have some responsibility to ensure you, the reader, have the tools to succeed in the highly competitive U.P. sports landscape.
It's time to see who's made adequate yearly progress in reading comprehension of the DMG sports section over the last year. It's the second annual DMG Reader Comprehension Quiz.
Here's a quick reminder of the rules: There are 15 multiple-choice questions of varying subjects and difficulty, the answers to which have all been published in some way within the section in the month of October. Good luck.
1. Which of the following is not the first name of a Pietila on the Michigan Tech hockey team? A. Blake, B. Jay, C. Chad, D. Aaron.
2. Which of the following schools did not field an 8-man football team this season? A. Cedarville, B. Ewen-Trout Creek, C. Munising, D. Brimley.
3. What was Marquette's rank in the U.P. Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association football poll before it lost to Calumet Friday? A. No. 1, B. No. 2, C. No. 3, D. No. 4.
4. Against whom did Calumet's Ben Johnson of the Ontario Hockey League's Windsor Spitfires check a player through the glass? A. Kitchener Rangers, B. Brampton Battalion, C. London Knights, D. Soo Greyhounds.
5. Which sport did Michigan Tech Sports Hall of Famer Steve Nykerk play? A. Basketball, B. Hockey, C. Track and Field, D. Tennis.
6. Who finished second in the girls' Division 1 race at the U.P. Finals in cross country? A. Tara Kiilunen (Calumet), B. Rachel Poyhonen (Calumet), C. Julia Lean (Calumet), D. Addy Grier-Welch (Houghton).
7. Who scored the most points in this year's Copper Bowl? A. Chase Daavettila (Hancock), B. Ross Michaels (Hancock), C. Shane Raasio (Hancock), D. Brett Fowler (Houghton).
8. The first Michigan Tech men's basketball game this season is at home on Nov. 12 against? A. Finlandia, B. Bemidji St., C. Northern Michigan, D. Minnesota Duluth.
9. Which of the following Michigan Tech sports did not produce a player recognized as his or her league's player of the week? A. Hockey, B. Volleyball, C. Football, D. Soccer.
10. Which team did I pick to win the WCHA this season? A. Denver, B. Colorado College, C. North Dakota, D. Michigan Tech.
11. Which Copper Country high school volleyball player recorded her 1,000th career dig? A. Terra Erkkila (Calumet), B. Abby Fenton (Houghton), C. Lucy Storm (Hancock), D. Taylor Murray (Hancock).
12. Where did the Finlandia hockey team play its first exhibition game of the season? A. Dee Stadium, B. MacInnes Student Ice Arena, C. Calumet Colosseum, D. Houghton County Arena.
13. Before this season, who was the opponent the last time Michigan Tech swept a home hockey series? A. Minnesota State Mankato, B. Alaska Anchorage, C. Colorado College, D. Northern Michigan.
14. How many U.P. 11-man football teams made the playoffs this season? A. 10, B. 13, C. 16, D. 19,
15. Houghton runner and U.P. champion Dylan Turpeinen is originally from what state? A. Michigan, B. Ohio, C. Texas, D. Florida.
Brandon Veale can be reached at bveale@ mininggazette.com.
Answers: 1. B, 2. C, 3. B, 4. A, 5. D, 6. B, 7. A, 8. D, 9. B, 10. A, 11. D, 12. C, 13. A, 14. C, 15. D.