EWEN - A small fire in the Ewen-Trout Creek school caused the school to close early on Monday, according to E-TC Principal Paul Healey.
At around lunchtime at the school Monday, a student set a garbage can on fire in the elementary girls' bathroom, setting off the sprinkler system. The sprinklers quickly doused the fire but created an abundance of water in the bathroom and hallway. The decision was then made to call off school for the rest of the day, according to Healey, so cleanup could be done.
No extensive damage was reported, with minimal smoke, and everything was cleaned up as of this morning. The student has been removed from school and the Ontonagon County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.