Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Trail Report | Today in Print | Frontpage | Services | Home RSS

Vote for Petersen, Ollila

November 3, 2012
The Daily Mining Gazette

To the editor:

Why didn't any of the opposing candidates bother to show up for the Oct. 22 public forum for the Portage Township Board of Trustees candidates? Could it be that these opponents do not have the best interests of the public in mind? Michael Wilmers, who is running against Bruce Petersen for township supervisor, has already shown that he is capable of undermining the interests of the township. In 2011, Mr. Wilmers misrepresented the township when he testified to the Michigan House in favor of Rep. Matt Huuki's totalitarian bill, HB 4746, which eliminated the rights of citizens to zone for mining and quarrying enterprises. Mr. Wilmers' actions led to his dismissal from the township's planning commission. Mr. Wilmers then sued the township. Although the case was eventually settled, his public support of HB 4746 was against the township's negative stance on this bill.

I believe the citizens of the township want to be represented by honest people who will encourage economic opportunity while maintaining the township's wealth of natural beauty. Bruce Petersen and John Ollila, who are running again for supervisor and trustee, respectively, are such people. I urge the citizens of Portage Township to vote for Mr. Petersen and Mr. Ollila and to reject the slate of candidates including Mr. Wilmers.

Alex Mayer


Fact Box

The Daily Mining Gazette welcomes letters to the editor from readers.

Letters should be signed and include name, address and telephone number. Names will not be withheld and letters should be no longer than 400 words. No personal attacks. Writers are limited to one letter per month. The Gazette reserves the right to edit letters for length, as well as for spelling and punctuation.

Mail letters to: Letters to the Editor, The Daily Mining Gazette, P.O. Box 368, Houghton, MI 49931. Letters may also be e-mailed to or submitted on the Gazette's Web site,, by clicking on "Submit News."



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web