RICE LAKE - A house near Rice Lake suffered extensive damage to the upper portions in a Monday afternoon fire.
About 3:26 p.m., the Bootjack Fire Department received a call of a wood stove fire on Harley-Davidson Road that had spread to a chimney.
There were no injuries, but extreme damage to the upper areas.
Garrett Neese/Daily Mining Gazette
A house near Rice Lake is seen after a fire Monday afternoon. The fire, which began in a stove before spreading to the chimney, severely damaged the upper portion of the home.
"There's three roofs on that place, so it was burning between the roofs, which made it difficult to put out the fire," said Bootjack Fire Chief Dan Sarazin.
The fire was first spotted by house owner Don Belanger.
"I came outside and I saw smoke coming out of the vents at the top of the house, so I called 911," he said.
Bootjack, Lake Linden, Hubbell and Tamarack fire departments responded to the scene.
The American Red Cross and Pigs n' Heat provided lodging for the night. Belanger wasn't sure yet if he and his wife would need additional donations.
"There's a lot of stuff usable in there, but a lot of stuff junked," he said. "They did a good job. The fire's out."