Calumet earns Copper Island Classic title

Eddie O’Neill/Daily Mining Gazette The Calumet Copper Kings pose with the John H. Sherf Trophy after winning Saturday’s game against Hancock, 6-0, at the Calumet Colosseum.

CALUMET — The John H. Sherf Trophy returned to the halls of Calumet High School Saturday night as the Copper Kings defeated the Hancock Bulldogs 6-0 on the ice at the Calumet Colosseum.

The Copper Kings downed the Bulldogs on Friday 8-1 in the opening night of the two-game/total goals series.

“To begin the season and to get the trophy is always a good start,” said Calumet coach Dan Giachino. “We are definitely happy to come away with it.”

The Bulldogs have won the two-game contest the last two years.

Giachino was also pleased in the way his team played on Saturday as opposed to Friday night.

“Particularly in the first period, I thought our passes and overall play was crisper and cleaner. We had better puck movement than the night before,” he said.

While the first period saw no scoring, both teams moved the puck well and put several shots on goal. The Copper Kings did not get on the scoreboard until the second period. At the 4:22 mark in the period, Tanner Rowe pushed a loose puck in front of the net past Hancock goaltender Philip Rios. The flood gates opened from there the Copper Kings scored three goals in two and a half minutes. At the 5:51 mark, Alex Mattila similarly scraped a shot into the left side of the net after it deflected off of Brent Loukus in the crease. A minute later, Scott Loukus lifted a pass from forward Rylan Anderson for the Copper Kings’ third goal of the night.

In the third period, Seth Coppo, Anderson and Nolan Jenich all had goals as well for the Copper Kings, all acting as further insurance.

Despite being out shot 42-16, Hancock coach Dan Rouleau thought his team played a little better Saturday than Friday.

“We did not skate or play even with them the whole night, but we competed with them particularly well in the first period and for the most part throughout the whole game,” he said.

Once again penalties were the Bulldogs nemesis.

The Bulldogs racked up 37 minutes in penalties. The Copper Kings only had 10.

“We cannot compete with a team like this if we are always a man or two down,” said Rouleau.

Thirteen of Hancock’s penalty minutes were from senior Trevor Tchida. Halfway through the third period, he was kicked out of the game for spearing a Copper Kings player in a pile up for the puck in front of both teams’ benches.

Things will not get much easier for the Bulldogs as they will take on the Houghton Gremlins at the Dee Stadium Tuesday.

The Copper Kings will head downstate to take on Cranbrook on Friday.


Hancock 0 0 0 – 0

Calumet 0 3 3 – 6

First period


Second period

1, CAL, Tanner Rowe (Nick Djerf, Dean Loukus), PP, 4:22

2, CAL, Alex Mattila (Brent Loukus), 5:51

3, CAL, Scott Loukus (Rylan Anderson, Josh VanDenburg), 6:53

Third period

4, CAL, Seth Coppo (Scott Loukus), :16

5, CAL, Anderson (Landon Johnson, Scott Loukus), PP, 7:59

6, CAL, Dean Loukus (Brent Loukus), PP, 9:02


HAN, Rios 12 11 13 – 36

CAL, Studebaker 3 7 6 – 16

Power plays

HAN: 0/4; CAL: 3/7


HAN: 9/37; CAL: 5/10