House explodes: Update April 18 at 2:35 p.m.

Graham Jaehnig/Daily Mining Gazette A home at 106 Tamarack Waterworks Road sustained damage after a propane leak on the outside of the structure caused an explosion.

KEWEENAW COUNTY — Calumet Township Fire and Rescue (CTFR) responded to a possible house fire at 8:46 a.m. Wednesday, when the owner of the home on Tamarack Waterworks Road, reported an explosion in his basement.

Initially, the caller said there was smoke coming from the basement, but there were no flames, but when according to radio scanner traffic, when the CTFR arrived, they requested the assistance of the Laurium Fire Department, as well as a tanker, because the outside of the house was engulfed in flames.

Allouez Township Fire Department Chief Gary Bracco said the cause of the explosion was the result of an apparent propane leak from a broken line on the exterior of the home.

“(The explosion) blew some of the windows out of the house,” Bracco said. “There is no fire on the inside of the house, though, just on the outside, where the line was broken.”

No injuries were reported at the 106 Tamarack Waterworks Road, Bracco said.

Graham Jaehnig/Daily Mining Gazette Personnel of the Calumet Township Fire and Rescue inspect a broken propane line that caused an explosion of a Tamarack Waterworks Road home that caused some fire damage to the exterior of the structure.

According to multiple databases, the owner is listed as Philip Roberts.

CTFR was assisted on the scene by the Laurium Fire Department, Allouez Township first responders, Allouez Township Fire Department, Keweenaw County Sheriff’s Office, and Mercy Ambulance.