Trade war delaying Chinese automaker's US plans

DETROIT (AP) — The U.S.-China trade war has delayed but not derailed Chinese automaker GAC Motor’s plans to enter the American market, company officials said Monday.
Company President Yu Jun, speaking at Detroit’s North American International Auto Show, said the dispute is a factor in moving its U.S. product launch from the end of this year — as it announced at last year’s show — to June 2020. Still, analysts think they might have a longer road to the market.
President Donald Trump imposed tariff increases of up to 25 percent on $250 billion of Chinese imports over complaints Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology. President Xi Jinping responded by imposing penalties on $110 billion of American goods.
Washington wants Beijing to change its plans to use government support to make Chinese companies world leaders in robotics and advanced technologies. Chinese officials have suggested Beijing might alter its industrial plans but reject pressure to abandon what they consider a path to prosperity and global influence.
A Dec. 1 agreement postponed further tariff increases. Economists say the 90-day postponement of additional tariff increases that had been meant to take effect Jan. 1 may be too short to settle the disputes bedeviling U.S.-Chinese relations. Yu said the 25 percent auto tariffs would cause prices to rise to the point that GAC’s cars aren’t competitive. He’s optimistic that the trade dispute will be resolved in time for his company to meet its latest goal.
“China and the United States are the world’s two largest economies, so their trade tensions will not only affect these two countries but also the entire world,” he said through an interpreter.