×

Holiday miracle: None seriously injured in Christmas Eve fire

Provided by Bianca Cowfer The lights of the Christmas tree reflected in the window reminded Bianca Cowfer to be especially thankful for the work of the first responders outside, working a fire at the Gilles Apartments on 2nd Street the morning of Christmas Eve.

LAKE LINDEN — A fire early on Christmas Eve in Lake Linden resulted in no serious injuries, according to a release from the Lake Linden Village Police. Six people were treated for minor injuries that included smoke inhalation, a broken leg from escaping out of a second-floor window, and a fireman with a sprained ankle from kicking in a door.

Bianca Cowfer, who lives in an apartment across the street from the Gilles Apartments at 118 2nd Street, watched the fire with her kids. Watching the first responders work while surrounded by Christmas decorations reminded her to be thankful for community.

“These people are out there on a holiday busting their butts,” she said. “My children and I watched them work so hard into the morning hours.”

The fire is believed to have started in a second floor apartment in the building.

The American Red Cross helped the apartment residents displaced by the fire. Richard and Kim Rak set up a temporary shelter and meeting place for the Red Cross and law enforcement at 120 Calumet street, according to village police.

M-26 was closed Monday morning while firefighters worked to fight the fire, which was called in at about 5:15 a.m. according to the village police.

Bootjack Fire Department and First Responders, Hubbell Fire Department, Calumet Township Fire and the Laurium Fire Department assisted the Lake Linden Fire Department at the scene. Mercy Ambulance transported the injured to Keweenaw Aspirus Hospital.

COMMENTS