Jail task force sets first meeting date
HOUGHTON — Houghton County’s jail task force will have its first meeting at the end of the month.
The task force, which is charged with making recommendations for the best option for replacing or adding onto the jail, will meet at 6 p.m., May 28, in the Houghton County Circuit Courtroom.
A formal agenda will be set up in the next couple of weeks. Commissioner Glenn Anderson suggested using the organizational meeting to do a brief history of past millage elections.
U.P. Engineers & Architects is preparing construction cost estimates for multiple options: renovating Camp Kitwen, building a new courthouse and jail complex in Houghton, building a jail and sheriff offices on county-owned property on the west side of Dodge Street and updating the cost estimate for the jail addition on the 2018 ballot.
UPEA architect Karin Cooper said the report would likely be completed sometime in June.
The Houghton County board also approved a list of appointees to the board Tuesday night.
The representatives (with alternates in parentheses):
• Adams Township: Paul Ollila (Torey Kostamo)
• Chassell Township: Jim Tervo (Chris Holmes)
• Elm River Township: Rich Pirhonen (Frank Taddeucci)
• Franklin Township: Ron Kilpela (Jim Siira)
• Hancock Township: Julie Haischer (Ken Moyle)
• Laird Township: Norm Shemp (Steve Carlton)
• Osceola Township: Horst Schmidt (Steve Karpiak)
• Portage Township: Bruce Petersen (Peggy Anderson)
• Quincy Township: Dennis Raasio (Richard Kangas)
• Schoolcraft Township: Jared Hyrkas
• Stanton Township: Glenn Ekdahl (John Botto)
• Torch Lake Township: Lou Ambuehl (Brian Cadwell)
• Calumet: Virginia Dwyer
• Laurium: Guy St. Germain (Don Bausano)
• South Range: Josh Saaranen (Carol Petrelius)
• Houghton: Philip Foltz (Eric Waara)
• Hancock: Susan Boxer
• Law enforcement: Houghton Police Chief John Donnelly, Michigan State Police Lt. Randy Danison
• Copper Country League of Women Voters: Valorie Troesch (Linda Belote)
• Copper Country Mental Health: David Cole (Ray Smith)
• Houghton County Judicial: Judge Mark Wisti
• Houghton County Parole/Probation: Barb Battersby
• Houghton County Indigent Defense: David Gemignani (Cameron Herrington)
• Houghton County Planning Commission: Tim Sears (Evan McDonald)