Houghton awards facade grants
HOUGHTON — Ten Downtown Houghton businesses will be able to spruce up their exiteriors through a new round of facade grants.
The city’s Downtown Development Authority gave out $30,000 in funds — double the usual amount. It includes the money budgeted for last year, when no grants were awarded due to the flood.
City Manager Eric Waara said the DDA was prioritizing higher-impact projects, including ones at the east entrance to downtown.
The grants ranged from 8 to 15% of the total project costs.
The DDA has some say over what the grants cover. On one property, Waara said he would be working with the proeprty owners on one of the materials they had planned to use on the downtown to find some that fit in better with the downtown.
The grants are:
• Krunch, $3,000 for roof, entrance and parking lot.
• Joey’s Seafood, $3,000 for awning in front and siding in back.
• Michigan Made, $2,500 for awning and lighting.
• Lewis Building, $2,500 for siding on south side.
• Douglass Agency, $2,500 for work on the Lakeshore Drive side.
• Julien Properties (Rhythm), $2,000 to paint and repair wooden facade.
• Vault Hotel, $2,500 for lighting and facade work.
• Marketing Department, $3,000 for lighting and door plate-facade.
• Orbit Video, $4,000 for paint, awnings – facade.
• Bookworm, $4,500 to paint the building.