Portage Twp. structure fire injures 1

PORTAGE TOWNSHIP — A tenant was injured in a structure fire in Portage Township Tuesday.

Hurontown Fire and Rescue Department handled the fire, which was called in at about 7:45 a.m., the Houghton County Sheriff’s Department said in a release. The fire was located on 48368 Jefferson Street.

The fire was determined to have been accidentally started in an upstairs bedroom when a hand-held propane torch was lit and spewed out a large flame. The tenant dropped it, igniting the carpeting and surrounding flammable items. Using a garden hose, the tenant was able to extinguish most of the fire.

The tenant suffered some smoke inhalation and burns to his right hand and forearm. A downstairs living room also received water damage.

Other tenants safely left the residence.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today