Copper Country Calendar: May 1, 2019
• 5:30 to 7:30 p.m, The Lake Linden Hubbell Public Library will be hosting a Scholastic Book Fair at the Elementary Gym during the school’s open house. All proceeds will be used to purchase new books for the library. For more information, email Michelle Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 6 to 7:30 p.m., Shane Oberloier of Superior Fab Lab will be talking about how 3D Printers at the Portage Lake District Library. For more information, contact the library at 906-482-4570.
• 6 p.m., The Alfred Erickson Post 186 of the American Legion will have a meeting at the post. Food will be provided.
• 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., Aspirus Keweenaw Home Health and Hospice will offer a free blood pressure clinic at the Douglass House in Houghton.
• 6 to 7:30 p.m., A presentation about death will take place at the Portage Lake District Library. A Death Cafe is a group directed discussion of death with no agenda, objectives or themes. It is a discussion group rather than a grief support or counseling group. For more information, contact the library at 906-482-4570.
• 7 p.m., There will be a free viewing of the movie, Resilience at the Calumet Theatre. For more information, contact Susan Kauppi at email@example.com, or 906-482-7382.
• 11:15 to 11:45 a.m., Aspirus Keweenaw Home Health and Hospice will offer a free blood pressure clinic during the meeting of the Crossroads Senior Citizen’s Club at the Stannard Township Hall in Bruce Crossing.
• 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Representative Greg Markkanen will be at the Portage Lake District Library. The meeting will give the local community a chance to about any issues, concerns, feedback or questions the may have regarding State Government. For more information, contact the library at 906-482-4570.
• 1 to 4 p.m., The Lake Linden Hubbell will be holding a benefit/appreciation lunch to honor the Hubbell Fire Department and their families for their outstanding service during the Father’s Day Flood. Everyone is welcome to a potluck lunch at the Hubbell Community Building. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 2 p.m., The Chassell Country Western Show will be at the Rozsa Center of the Performing Arts. Local country artists along with music students from the Chassell Schools will be performing.
• 3 to 6:30 p.m., Sons of the American Legion will hold an honor flight benefit spaghetti and chicken dinner. The dinner will include a silent auction and raffles. Music will be provided by Tom Katalin. The benefit will cost $10 for adults, $5 for kids 5 through 10, and kids under 5 are free. The event will be at the American Legion Post 90 in Lake Linden.
• 6 p.m., The Chassell Country Western Show will be at the Rozsa Center of the Performing Arts. Local country artists along with music students from the Chassell Schools will be performing.
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., The Keweenaw Lions Club will hold a spaghetti dinner at the Horizons School in Mohawk. Tickets will be sold at the door, and are also available from Keweenaw Lion members for $8 each. Children under 6 eat for free. All proceeds will go to local charities.
• 12:30 p.m., The annual state meeting of the Houghton-Keweenaw Chapter of Michigan Association of Retired School Personnel or (MARSP) will be held at the Bluffs in Houghton. All members and their guests are encouraged to attend. For more information, call Steven Karpiak at 482-8455.
• 7 p.m., The KATV Club will hold its monthly meeting at the Gay Bar and Grill in Gay Michigan.