Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Trail Report | Today in Print | Frontpage | Services | Home RSS
 
 
 

No injuries in apartment fire Friday

January 5, 2013
By Scott Viau (sviau@mininggazette.com) , The Daily Mining Gazette

HOUGHTON - A small fire broke out at about 11:30 a.m. Friday at Michigan Technological University's Daniell Heights Apartments.

According to Tech spokesperson Marcia Goodrich, insulation caught fire while a maintenance member was soldering plumbing for a sink installation.

"The maintenance people removed the smoldering insulation from the wall, squirted some water on it from a water bottle and took it outside," Goodrich said.

Due to not having to use a fire hose, the damage was minimized.

"After it was extinguished, they used an imaging camera to check the walls for any lingering hot spots," she said.

None were found.

While there were no residents currently living in the apartment where the fire broke out, the eight unit apartment building was evacuated.

Houghton Fire Department, MTU Public Safety and Houghton Public Safety responded to the scene. The agencies cleared the scene at noon.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web