Breaking News
Local News

Finnish Farmers Milling Company ledger book donated to Finnish American Heritage Center Archives

By Dana Richter 2 min read

The original hand-written ledger book of the Finnish Farmers Milling Company from 1905 has been donated to the Finlandia University Archives by Dana Richter of Salo Location, Hancock Township.

The Finnish Farmers Milling Company was located on the Boston Creek north of Hancock and was the first water driven flour mill in Houghton Co. It operated from 1905 to 1936. Some of the records in the ledger book are written in Finnish. Farmers from all around the Copper Country would come to grind flour and feed there.

The book was found in the home of John and Clara (Larson) Waara near the mill site in Salo. Mr. Waara was one of the last supervisors of the mill. The book was found by the Waara's nephew, Pete Larson, who helped with the house and estate after the passing of John and Clara's only son, Henry, in 2011.

The book lists the first ten stockholders of the Finnish Farmers Milling Company who were also signers of the Articles of Association. The book also contains a work log with lists of names and hours worked by farmers in the area. The Finnish writing in the book was translated by Bill Forsman of rural Hancock. There is much history about the first hearty farmers of the Copper Country in this ledger book, and the information contained therein will be valuable to many future historical researchers.

The book was given to local resident, Dana Richter, who was conducting historical research about the mill. A thirteen-page report has been written, containing personal interviews of individuals who remembered the mill, along with maps and photographs of the remaining dam and mill foundation. These materials have also been deposited in the Finnish American Heritage Center Archives and are available for review at the Archives. Contact University Archivist Joanna Chopp for more information (906-487-7347, or archive@finlandia.edu).

Starting at /week.