Whitmer extends tax foreclosure deadline
LANSING, Mich. — Governor Gretchen Whitmer today signed Executive Order 2020-14, extending the deadline for Michigan residents to pay back taxes and avoid foreclosure on their property during the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Executive Order 2020-14, which takes effect immediately, will move the tax foreclosure deadline from March 31, 2020, to May 29, 2020, or 30 days after the state of emergency declared in Executive Order 2020-4 is terminated, whichever comes first.
“This executive order will give families struggling to make ends meet real and immediate relief from the pressure of having their home foreclosed on while trying to focus on the health and safety of their loved ones,” Governor Whitmer said. “This order is the latest in a series of steps to protect the public, slow the spread of COVID-19 and give families comfort during these uncertain times.”
“We want all Michiganders to focus on staying healthy and making smart choices to help avoid the spread of COVID-19,” said Jeff Donofrio, director of the Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity. “The last thing families and seniors should have to worry about during this global health pandemic is losing their home, which is why this commonsense executive order will give homeowners some peace of mind.”
Patients with confirmed infection have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
• Shortness of breath
The best prevention for viruses, such as influenza, the common cold or COVID-19 is to:
• If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider. If you do not have a health care provider, call the nearest hospital.
• Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not available, use hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
• Avoid contact with people who are sick.
• If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
• Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in a public setting.
Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at http://Michigan.gov/Coronavirus.