10 things to know today Jan. 27, 2015
By the Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. 1 KILLED IN ARREST OF OREGON ARMED RANCHERS
Militant leader Ammon Bundy is arrested, but it is unclear how many people remain in the buildings at the refuge.
2. DANISH HOSPITAL SAYS CASE OF ZIKA VIRUS DISCOVERED
The patient has been infected after visiting southern and central America.
3. HOW DONALD TRUMP HAS STOLEN THE SHOW AGAIN
The billionaire’s decision to skip the final presidential debate before Iowa’s kickoff caucuses ensures that he will dominate the conversation in the closing moments of campaigning in 2016’s leadoff state.
4. WHAT IRANIAN PRESIDENT THINKS OF FREE SPEECH
“Freedom of expression doesn’t mean that people can do what they want,” says Hassan Rouhani hours before arriving in Paris on the next leg of his European trip.
5. HOUSTON PROSECUTOR HAS ANGERED ANTI-ABORTION GROUPS BEFORE
However, those close and familiar with the former judge say she is no ideologue.
6. U.S. STUDENT ARREST RENEWS SCRUTINY OF NORTH KOREA TOURS
It rekindles questions about whether American tourists are offering themselves up as pawns in a political game with potentially serious repercussions for Washington.
7. WHY ISRAEL, EU ARE ON COLLISION COURSE
A narrow country road outside Jerusalem turns into a new battleground, deepening a dispute between the allies over Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank.
8. RACIAL DISPARITIES IN CONNECTICUT STUN GUN USE
According to data obtained by The AP, officers last year fired electroshock weapons at blacks and Hispanics at a higher rate than at white suspects.
9. BIKRAM YOGA FOUNDER FACES STEEP SEX HARASSMENT PENALTY
A Los Angeles jury orders Bikram Choudhury to pay $6.5 million in punitive damages on top of $924,000 in compensatory he was ordered to pay in the same case a day earlier.
10. TENNIS TO REVIEW INTEGRITY UNIT
Authorities are taking steps at damage control as they grapple with recent media reports alleging match-fixing.