CCISD approves 2022-23 budget
HANCOCK — The Copper Country Intermediate School District Board approved a budget with $6.06 million in general fund spending at its Tuesday meeting.
The budget included $5.86 million in general fund revenues, leaving a projected fund balance of $1.32 million.
The budget also included:
• Special education fund: $8.32 million in revenues, $8.79 million in appropriations, $722,736 projected fund balance.
• Career and technical education fund: $2.02 million in revenues, $2.17 million in appropriations, $744,234 projected fund balance.
• Regional Educational Media Center fund: $3.14 million in revenue, $3.17 million in appropriations, $663,075 projected fund balance.
“We’re looking pretty steady overall,” said CCISD business manager Jason Auel. “There’s some decreases, but we expect some additional funding to come too with increases in grants … we don’t know the amounts yet, but they will come.”
The district is adding a new classroom in Baraga along with staff. It has also ordered a new bus, Auel said.
Auel said the district is also projecting increases in salaries and benefits, as well as higher costs for fuel, utilities and supplies.
The millage rates levied on property within the CCISD for 2022-23 will be .3952 mills for general education, 1.9155 mills for special education and .9875 mills for career and technical education.
In other action, the board:
• Approved the Copper Country Intermediate Education Association professional staff contract.
• Approved 2022-23 salaries for administration and nonunion office staff.
• Hired Bridget Firchau as REMC1 secretary/conference center coordinator.
• Hired Wyatt Gerner as support technician.
• Hired Patrick Roth as custodian.
• Accepted the retirement resignation of Susan Heinonen.
• Accepted the retirement resignation of Jason Erva.
• Accepted the resignation of Cheyenne Kaufman.
• Accepted the resignation of Tyler Kinnunen.
• Approved the CTE Mechatronics contract for the 2022-23 school year.
• Approved posting an early childhood specialist position.
• Approved posting a pupil accounting auditor/grants coordinator position.
• Approved posting a math consultant/coach position.